Symmons First Corner - Photography by Luke Hobbs

Friday, June 22, 2012

Weekends are for those who don't build drift cars


Well where to start, at the time of writing this the car is currently sitting in primer. I've spent the best part of 20 hours over Friday to Sunday prepping the car ready for dad to paint it. I'm relatively tired but am still no where near ready for this coming Saturday (which the car needs to be ready by, for the first round of the state series). 


The lawn is scattered with body panels and car bolt ons, the rear guards have been riveted onto place (thanks dad!), I suspect I will need some bolt on spacers down the track as the 17x9.5 +0 Varrstoen's don't fill the guards enough for a fitment nazi such as myself, that however will have to wait until after the round.


Upon removing the tail lights for the car (easier to remove than sand/paint around) the car claimed it's first blood for the weekend from me. Cheers for that, though in hindsight I knew using a flathead screwdriver to unclip the light plugs was a bad idea.. it has been every single time I've done it.



Anyway, so I started pulling my front pair of rims off the car so I could a. spray them to match my new theme and b. so they weren't on the car when it got sprayed. Pulled passenger side off and that was fine. I noticed my semi's had taken a fair beating from last track day though this means I've definitely improved my technique atleast :p Below is a quick run I had from that weekend at ADGP








Anyway, the next rim (drivers side front) I pulled off and found this to my shock! 


It's still holding pressure amazingly and looking back now I have found evidence of when I suspect this happened, thanks to the amazing photographers scattered around the track on the day I manage to have picture evidence of said time the crime had occurred! See below.





This was actually on my lead lap with my battle with Jake (side note bestest two runs, so much fun, high five Crawford, and of course Grats on the win! :D) so I had been drifting on it for the rest of the Saturday and the Sunday.
So that has been taken in last minute to a rim repairer to which I hope can fix it before Saturday, jury is still out on that though.


The rear guards were pot riveted on and for non genuines they lined up really well and very sturdy, money well spent! The rivets are going to be a great feature point with the car theme so having wider guards was a must!






So moving along the car got moved down into the shed which dad cleared out ready to spray the car. Can I just say getting in the 180 compared to the skyline (my tame daily) everything felt so "because race car" about it, diff, noise, fuel smells, steering :) 


Anyway I finished off my Sunday evening by masking up the car ready for it to be sprayed. Also a note to anyone masking up cars, don't skimp on masking tape that splits when pulling it off the roll, totally worth the extra dollars to get something decent ;)


 So this is how I left the car with a week left for this to be transformed, easy right, yea...



No comments:

Post a Comment